I’ve been single on Valentine’s Day for…just about 25 years if my memory serves me right. Yes, I’ve been in relationships before but somehow, they never lasted till Valentine’s Day. Despite my current relationship status, here I am happy and living my life. There is no reason to be bitter on this day if you are single. To avoid bitterness here’s 5 things to do. (People in relationships can also do these things)
- Appreciate the love that you do have in your life. Sure, it would be nice to have that romantic love, but If you have single friends, dress up, go out and enjoy the day. Celebrate each other. I sent a few of my friends Valentine’s Day cards and of course they know I love them why not remind them on this day. (To my friends reading this I put the cards in the mailbox today so let’s just pretend Valentine’s day is next week.)
- If you do have friends who are in a relationships, help them make their significant other day special. Nothing makes me feel loved than helping others feel loved. I remember one year in college the guy my friend was talking to wanted to decorate her room for Valentine’s Day but we went to an Adventist School and guys was not allowed in the room. The guy bought the balloons, flowers and his gifts to her and my friend and I decorated her room while she was in class. I felt so happy seeing the reaction on her face. In that moment I wasn’t thinking about my singleness.
- There are so many people who do not have anyone to show them love. (no spouse, family or friends). Valentine’s day is the perfect time to show them love. I volunteered to hand out chocolate kisses to the patients at my hospital. Maybe you can give out a few care packages to the homeless people in your neighborhood, or volunteer at a soup kitchen.
- Self- Love. Need I say more? Whatever self-love looks like to you, do that. Beat your face for no reason, read that book you’ve been wanting to read for a long time or maybe order a relaxation package from my best friend’s company Vlam World She sells handmade boxes with all your relaxation needs which also caters to mental health.
- You could also just do nothing. There are lots of other “holidays” I don’t celebrate like Halloween for example and no one makes a big deal about it. Why should this one be different.
What will you guys be doing for Valentine’s Day? Let’s share in the comments. You might give someone else an idea. Thanks for reading and have a love filled Valentine’s Day!